Welcome to the ISAAC East homepage
February 16, 2020
Summer Ministry Internship 2020 is Here!
Applications are now being considered for the ISAAC East Summer Ministry Internship (SMI) program for this coming summer 2020. We are seeking four Christian young adults who are open to or interested in exploring full-time vocational ministry in the future.
Successful applicants will serve in their own local church or a host church and be mentored by a team of pastoral and lay leaders. Furthermore, the interns will meet together each week for study, prayer and mutual support. This program is open to young adults in college or graduate school. An application with a pastoral or lay leader recommendation must be completed. Interns are typically responsible for two to three ministry activities each week in their host church as well as weekly cohort meetings with the program director. Time commitment is approximately ¾ time. Interns will not only gain experience in practical ministry but receive education, training and personal assessment.
- ISAAC East received grants from the Forum for Theological Exploration (FTE) in Atlanta to underwrite five summer internships in 2016 and four in 2018. These grants were only “seed money” to jump start such a program in local areas on an ongoing basis. ISAAC East must now raise its own funds to sustain this internship and seeks to raise $5000 for this summer 2020. Please consider giving to this worthy cause at our “Donate” link below.
- Summer internships are jointly funded by ISAAC East and the local church. Students will receive a $1,500 stipend. ISAAC will contribute $1,000 and the church $500. In addition, there will be transportation, food and book subsidies from ISAAC East.
- Accepted students will serve in various ministry capacities at their own local church or another church willing to host an intern for approximately 8 weeks from June to July.
- An English Ministry pastoral staff member or external minister will oversee the work and mentor the young adult for the summer. A learning covenant between the two will serve as the basis for their working relationship.
- The ISAAC East project director will coordinate the entire project and meet with the interns once a week for mutual support and guidance. The weekly meetings will also include readings in ministry and discernment of calling.
- The Summer Ministry Internship program is not new. Under Rev. Dr. Andrew Lee, the program was a success in 2009-2011.
- Application forms will be available soon on this webpage. A Pastoral or Lay Leader Recommendation is required. Deadline for applications is May 15th.
Our 2018 Interns
In June through July, four ISAAC interns served in their home or host churches in NY and NJ. Pictured above from left to right: Steve Xia served at Living Stone Christian Church, Edmund Chen served at Brooklyn Alliance, Joshua Ye at Chinese for Christ NY and Ellie Sohn at Disciples NYC.
One church had such a need and was so happy with their intern, he served longer into August with the congregation. Here’s his testimonial: “I think the internship gave me more than what I anticipated … I really enjoyed the bonds I formed during this time period and am excited to continue to work with this particular church even after the internship.” Steve is now an M.Div. student at Southern Seminary, Edmund is attending SUNY Binghamton, Josh is at SUNY Buffalo and Ellie is on staff at her home church.
The Project Director is Milton Eng, a long-time pastor-scholar in the NY and NJ area. He is a Ph.D. in Old Testament and published with Zondervan Devotions on the Hebrew Bible in 2015. He is also a contributor to the forthcoming Baker Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words.
The vision of ISAAC East is to raise up and support the next generation of Asian American Christian leaders through seminars, internships and special projects. Your financial support will enable ISAAC East to sponsor even more internships and provide more training, discernment and support for young adults seeking God’s call upon their lives. Click on the “Donate” button below to make your gift. You can earmark your gift for either our General Fund or our Summer Ministry Internship program or both.
To earmark your gift specifically towards the SMI project “Add special instructions to the seller:”
ISAAC is a registered 501(c)(3) Non-Profit organization. All contributions are tax-deductible.